This is delicious with my fried plantains, baked sweet potato spears or served with fish. This is terrific with mango too.
Makes 1 cup
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoons onion, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 papaya, ripe, chopped
1/4 cup cider vinegar
4 tablespoons orange juice(optional, you could use just about any juice or water here)
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon allspice, ground
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce or to taste, habanero is reccommended
- In a medium sauce pot, heat the oil and butter.
- Add the onion, ginger and garlic. Cook for 5-10 minutes over a medium low heat until the onion as softened.
- Add the papaya and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the cider vinegar, water, sugar, cloves, allspice and hot sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until thickened. Puree in food processor and cool completely. Add salt and pepper to taste. You may want to add more hot sauce.